Saturday, March 2, 2013

Literary Friday

I am currently reading The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian. He is an excellent fiction storyteller. Hopefully I will enjoy this story too.
     
I just finished reading Shift by Charolette Agell about a fifteen year-old Adrian Havoc's world. . The end of the world as we know it, or is there some plot by the Homestate a.k.a. government to manipulate us. Homestate rules every aspect of society: identity cards need to be carried at all times, evolution is a forbidden topic of discussion, and religious education is enforced in daily "rapture" doses. A rumor is being spread about a Shift in the universe. Can it really be the end of the world.

I enjoyed the story for this young adult book. What I did not enjoy was the use of profanity. I did not expect such language to be appropiate in a book directed at the young. My children said that I would be shocked if I worked at a high school.
The plot was good. This was a easy read if you are looking for light. A book that draws you in as you read and makes you want to know what happens next.

1 comment:

Ricki Treleaven said...

I know what you mean by the profanity. Shelley had to read a Sarah Dessen book for class, and the language bothered her, too. You've been reading a lot lately, my friend. How're things in the studio? It has taken me MONTHS to finish a simple painting....life is getting in the way of art!

Thanks so much for linking-up!
xo,
Ricki Jill